Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why Mentor?

Sure we love our kiddos and want to serve them. But we love camp. And we love tutoring. And we love sidewalk Sunday school. And regular Sunday school. . . So why mentoring? Why are we so passionate about mentoring, and why should YOU be passionate about it too? And why should you want to mentor one of our kiddos?

I could tell you that for every dollar you invest in these kids now, you will save four dollars later on the cost of incarceration and rehabilitation. I could tell you that investing in the kids is making an investment into our city, into our future. I could tell you that mentored kids are nearly 50% less likely to use drugs down the line, are more likely to stay in school, and have increased self-esteem.

Or maybe I should tell you about 8 year old Sincere, whose mom died two years ago, and whose eyes welled up with tears when he whispered to me that he misses her, and that he has no one to talk to. I could tell you about Sincere's little sister, Samaya, whose laugh can literally brighten your entire week. Or I could tell you about Sharonda, who has attitude dripping from her pores. I could tell you about Zack, who is scared of dogs and heights, but who has a grin that blinds you like sun glinting off the wet roads.

Or I could tell you about the women in my own life. Women who took the time to invest pieces of themselves in me. Women who made a difference, who shaped me into the person I am today.

But I'm not going to tell you about any of that. Because here's the only thing that really matters: These kids are precious, valued children of God. And you might be the only person to ever tell them that.

Want to be a mentor or support the mentoring program? Send an email to Adam at VAMentoring@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Becca -- What you and Adam do is amazing. I wonder if there is anything like this set up in Ontario? I am becoming closer with God every day and when I am where I am comfortable with Him I know I would love to do something like this for example to help others find the relationship with God that they might not be looking for but truly need. Would you shoot me an e-mail and let me know how I could look into Mentoring in Ontario? Thanks for being my Mentor!

    natalie_liam@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree. I have been mentoring by being a big sister through Big Brothers Big Sisters for 9 years. I love it!

    ReplyDelete