Sunday, April 19, 2009

Recommended Reading

Lately I have been reading all the stories and books about the inner-city that I can get my hands on. Not only is it fascinating, but I feel like the more I learn, the better-equipped I will be for ministry with my kiddos.

I've enjoyed all the reading so far. Of course, there are some books I liked better than others, and some which I found more helpful than others.

I thought maybe some of y'all might be interested in learning more about inner-city circumstances, poverty, working with inner-city kids etc. So here's a few suggestions:

Bridges out of Poverty and A Framework for Understanding Poverty (both so helpful and enlightening- but very similar - I would suggest reading one or the other -- probably Bridges)
Rosa Lee
Same Kind of Different As Me (one of my favorite books. of all time.)
Gang Leader for a Day
The Irresistible Revolution (this book changed my life - one of the reasons I landed in inner-city ministry to start with)
Amazing Grace, Savage Inequalities and anything else by Jonathon Kozol
Turning Stones: My Days and Nights with Children at Risk

and I'm currently reading: The Other Side of the River

Any other suggestions? If anyone knows of any books we should read to help us in understanding our kids and carrying out effective ministry, I would love to hear about them!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome project! I will be praying for you and this ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I was praying the other day about books to read on ministering with inner-city kids, but had NO idea where to even look. Your list is a God-send. Thanks, girl! Only a few more weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete